Discovery

History

 

 

Our region is on the layout of old Roman roads which connected Reims to Paris. In the Middle Ages and later during the Renaissance, the rich grounds of Brie and Multien made noble families prosperous, such as the Dukes of Gesvres and Hardy de la Trousse. This prosperity also enriched religious foundations, which had huge mansions and properties (Les Dames de Chelles in Coulombs-en-Valois, the Fontevrists nunnery in Douy-la-Ramée...). Construction of many mills on the Ourcq canal and Therouanne river also contributed to the power of the region.

At the turn of the sixteenth century, the Ourcq region became an active Protestant bastion. Huguenots and Royalists battled it out on the grounds of Puisieux (1592), and the last Church council meeting of the reformist religion was held in 1861 at the Lizy-sur-Ourcq castle.

In the seventeeth century, during “La Fronde des Princes”, the Ourcq region attempted to resist the Duke of Lorraine's troops who were advancing towards Paris. One of the casualties of these events, the « Donjon du Houssoy » in Crouy-sur-Ourcq was besieged and set on fire in 1652. 

Later on, the French Revolution profoundly upset the order of societal norms. Many monasteries, such as the one in Marnoue-les-Moines, farms owned by Lords like “La Recette” in Le Plessis-Placy, or mansions like “Château d'Armentières-en-Brie” and another, “La Trousse”, fell into the hands of new owners.

With the construction of the Ourcq canal, started in the early nineteenth century, the Ourcq region knows a true economic advancement. The establishment of large factories in Lizy-sur-Ourcq (the sugar refinery and Ferro Nickel) or also in Etrepilly (Fichet safe) adds to the industrial development of the region as well as the sugar beet culture. One of the first french distillings factory was built in Vincy-Manoeuvre in 1837. In the late nineteenth century, railroad brought the “Pays de l'Ourcq” towards the modern world.

In 1914, our territory will be at the heart of events of september and between two wars, rebuilt and modernized its agriculture. But in 1939, Germans, again, invest the area, and supervise it in a watchtower arranged at the top of the church bell-tower « Assomption » in May-en-Multien.

After the war, the Ourcq region is taking advantage of the « Trentes Glorieuses » then the impulse of important establishments such as Jean-Didier printing-works build in 1970. Set up in 1989, a glass massive Pyramid 36 meters high, marked the entrance of company and still dominates the current roundabout route from La Ferté-sous-Jouarre to Lizy-sur-Ourcq.

 

 

Haut de page ^